Bennington High School Principal's Page
Dear Parent / Guardian,
Welcome to the 2020-21 school year!
We are committed to our students’ success. As we are coming off of one of the most challenging and difficult ends to a school year I have ever experienced, we are faced with yet another challenge—What will school look like moving forward? Regardless of where you stand politically or philosophically with the world around us currently, know our goal is to provide our students with the tools to develop expert learning capacities and real-world employability skills developed through intentional exposure to trainings and interventions, allowing them to become competent and competitive members of society and the workplace in a post-secondary world.
This year, we will be building upon our work from previous years, striving to improve every aspect of what we do. Specifically, we’re going to continue to focus on:
- Spending more time working on projects. We know that projects drive student engagement and we also know that working on projects helps students understand how what they’re learning in school applies to the world around them.
- Fostering lifelong learning habits like curiosity, self-awareness, and resilience by giving students more choice in how they learn. This means that in addition to what their teachers will teach them, they’ll have access to a range of learning resources so that they can go ahead if they’re ready or spend more time studying if they need to.
- Continue to build strong teacher-student relationships through our Advisory program. Every student is assigned to an Advisor/Teacher at school. They’ll then meet with their Advisor 1:1 on a weekly basis to set goals, make plans to reach those goals and reflect on what they’ve learned.
Although our year was cut short, I would like to share some interesting data about what we accomplished in ¾ of a school year, last year:
Our Commitment to You
We truly value each and every one of you as partners in this work and are committed to our Parent Tenents, which are:
- All Twin Valley parents will actively be involved in and support the programming of their child’s educational needs from the day they enter our system until the day they leave.
- All Twin Valley parents will be supported in their role as primary caregivers to their children to enable their children to reach their full potential.
We also plan to make more frequent updates on our website and social media accounts at Facebook: @BenningtonDawgs, and on Twitter: @BenningtonDawgs.
Next Steps - We Need You
Positivity – Research indicates student attitudes toward education are a direct reflection of the attitudes from home and a positive attitude toward learning is one of the most important elements of success and mental maturity. Join us in supporting a positive approach to learning in your student by framing school as a positive in their lives. If you have questions or concerns about what we are doing at school, please do not hesitate to reach out to your student’s teachers, or myself. Knowledge and understanding of what we are doing is power.
In the meantime, you’ll be able to see everything your student is working on by checking teacher Lesson Plans on our district’s website or logging into both your student's PowerSchool and/or Summit programs to see grades, etc. Just contact the High School office for your login information if you do not have it. While your there, please ensure we have the most up-to-date contact information for you--specifically email--so we can push timely information out to you.
Thank you for taking the time to read this letter, and please let us know if you have any questions. We are excited to be going Back To School!